On February 7, 2015, we anchored in the Bay of Islands and had to tender in to the town of Paihia. We left the town of Paihia and traveled to the town of Kerikeri to visit the 2 oldest European buildings in New Zealand. On the road to Kerikeri we passed lush farms, streams and ranches. In Kerikeri we visited the Kemp house, belonging to one of the first missionaries and next to it the Stone Store and trading post. We then went to Waitangi to a panoramic view of the Bay of Islands and then continued to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. This was where the Maori and the British signed a treaty in 1840. On the grounds was the treaty house and a Maori Meeting House. There were some Maori dancers in traditional clothing by the meeting house. After walking down the hill to the bay there was a Maori Canoe (waka) shelter which housed 3 war canoes. We then returned to the town of Paihia and our tender pier.
The thumbnail pictures below represent this stop on our trip. Click on any of them to see actual picture.